Wednesday 9 July 2014

"1430 Steps to Brazilian Redemption" The Diary of a Heartbroken Brazil fan - Day 1 (09/07/2014)


"1430 Steps to Brazilian Redemption"
The Diary of a Heartbroken Brazil fan - Day 1 (09/07/2014)

 

There are a mere 1430 days until the 2018 World Cup in Russia starts.

 

As far as I am concerned, that’s 1430 that Brazil must now take on a long, long road to redemption following the humiliation of the 7-1 mauling at the hands of Germany in the World Cup semi-final last night.

 

I intend to follow every single one of those 1430 steps. I am going to read as many articles, tweets, jokes, blogs and posts that I can. I’ll listen to as many interviews that take place as possible. I am going to keep any eye out for news, critiques and reviews of Brazilian football players around the world, analyse friendlies, Copa America matches, World Cup qualifying matches, U17 and U20 matches in the hope that some light can finally appear at the end of what now seems an eternally long tunnel of darkness.

 

First things first, though. All you need to know about me is the following. I am 35 years-old. I was born in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in February 1979 to a Brazilian mother and English father. We moved to London when I was 4. My first football memory was seeing friends and family crying after Brazil lost 3-2 to Italy at the World Cup of 1982. That feeling of trauma in 1982 instilled in me a love and passion for the seleção that will never diminish or perish, no matter how bad things get. Right about now, I very much doubt that things will ever get worse than what I witnessed last night.

 

I am hurt, angry and upset. I will never forget the match, but I desperately want to put it behind me. I will only be able to put it behind me though when Brazil win a meaningful game at the World Cup in four years time. I can’t even bring myself to fill in the 7-1 score line on my World Cup wall-chart. For now, I shall leave I blank.

 

Statistics and numbers play a huge part in football. Indeed, the fact that there are 1430 days until the next World Cup starts can be used to play a cruel joke if one were so inclined. For example…..

 

The number 1430 can so easily turn into (1) & (4+3+0) = (1) & (7)……the humiliating score-line from last night.

 

I prefer to look at another set of numbers. In 1950, Brazil lost 2-1 to Uruguay in the Maracana and lost the World Cup. A nation went into mourning, but it was a watershed moment. First off, Brazil changed the colours of their shirts from white to the famous yellow that everybody had grown to love over the years. Also, that moment lit a fire of burning desire, to win a World Cup that ensured Brazil became obsessed with the whole thing.

 

Fast forward 32 years to 1982. Brazil by now had won three World Cups, but defeat at the World Cup in Spain was yet another watershed moment. That team of 1982 was utterly beautiful and was widely and rightly considered to be one of the greatest teams of all time, and definitely one of if not the greatest to not win World Cup. However, the fact they didn’t win the World Cup caused a change of footballing philosophy in Brazil. In order to win the World Cup again, the beautiful game, the free flowing game for so long associated and trademarked by the Brazilians would have to be forsaken for a more pragmatic, European style of football. And so Brazil changed, and eventually another two World Cup victories followed, but the identity had gone. The beauty had gone. Brazil used to be the team that everybody would adopt as their second team, but fast forward another 32 years to 2014, and I very much doubt that this is still the case. I am not a religious man, but I am praying, to the football Gods if necessary, for Brazil to rediscover that flair, return to their roots, and reclaim that beautiful flowing style of football.

 

If this 32 year cycle of watershed moments continues, then Brazil are about to embark on yet another change of styles and philosophies, and as I said at the top of this post, it begins with step 1 of 1430.

 

I love the seleção, and will never give up on them, but I never want to feel the way I am feeling right now. I believe that 200 million Brazilians will agree with me, once they have had a chance to calm down and get over the hurt. I am hoping that Brazilians will follow me on each and every one of these steps, and that together we will see our team return to glory in 1430 days.

 

Date: July 9th 2014

Current Brazil manager: Luis Felipe Scolari

FIFA Ranking: 3

 

Likely Brazil line-up in 2018: Absolutely no idea.

 

Headlines about THAT match today:

 

“ROUT OF THIS WORLD – Brazil are Humiliated” – The Sun

 

“RABBITS..1 HERRS.. – Ripped apart in 179sec” – The Sun

 

“SORRY BRAZIL AT SIXES AND SEVENS” – The Times

 

“SCOLARI SET THE TONE BY MAKING LUIZ HIS CAPTAIN” – The Times

 

“DAS BOOTED – Germany tear Brazil to pieces” – The Metro

 


 

Above is my Wall chart. I will not fill in the 7-1. I cannot bring myself to do it until Brazil have shown me that they are recovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment